Friday, June 26, 2009

Hot green washcloth - Part 1 of 2


(click on the picture for a larger view, then "back" to return to the blog)
This is to show a little bit more of the process of making a washcloth. In the previous washcloth article, you saw how I tied dowels to my frame and used continuous warp method. Then I spread the warp on the dowels for proper spacing and applied a twined edge cord. This picture shows my homemade temple in use to help space the warp. The yarn is from Sugar & Creme, the color is called Hot Green. It's a worsted cotton yarn.


Then I tied the edge cords to shorter dowels and tied those dowels to the frame, stretching the warp. Here I am using the longer dowels to keep the sheds separate until I can insert shed sticks.


Here I am tying on the string heddle. Important thing to remember is to thread the heddle string through the shed first! Then start tying to the heddle stick. Here I am using a shed stick as a spacer to help keep a uniform length on the string heddle. I am pulling the string off the cone and through the shed so I don't have to guess how long the string should be for the string heddle.



My washcloth is woven in two parts. Trying to weave from bottom to top can be difficult when you get to the top and the shed gets very small, making it hard to get the shed stick in place. Especially for the leno lace bit, I need to have some flex in the warp to fit the shed stick. So I'm going to stop halfway and turn the loom over.

You have probably noticed the wooden bar stool behind the frame. I've been weaving seated on the couch with one end of the frame in my lap and the other end propped up on the bar stool.


The loom is now turned over. I tied off the weft string to the frame to keep it out of the way. That weft string will be woven with the first warp string on the left and hidden beneath the edge cord later. The string heddle has to be on the bottom shed so I had to undo the string heddle then do it over again on the bottom shed, which used to be the top shed.

More info coming in part 2.

Have a good day!

No comments: