Sunday, November 29, 2009

Time out for dinner - tostadas



Time out for dinner. My lovely wife said this dinner is so pretty I should take a picture of it. So here is the picture. (click on picture for larger view)

A tostada is a corn tortilla shell toasted in hot oil until crispy. You can buy the shells in the market already toasted, but I prefer to toast them myself because they taste better. I toasted these in peanut oil.

Then a layer of warm refried beans (canned this time) is spread on the shell, followed by a layer of seasoned meat (ground turkey with chili powder and spices), some lettuce (romaine, cabbage, carrot salad mix sliced into slivers), and some grated cheese (medium cheddar and jack cheese bought already grated and mixed in a bag).

You can also add more toppings like tomatoes, olives, sour cream, guacamole (avocado sauce), or salsa. I just like to keep it simple.

That was dinner tonight and just a snapshot of my corner of the world, Sacramento, California.

Edited to add: You eat the whole tostada, crispy shell and all. Pick up carefully and keep it over the plate in case the shell cracks and spills the goodies on your lap.

Have a good evening!

No comments: